Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The elusive art of time management ...

I need a crash course on time management.

24 hours does not seem to be enough for a day. It feels like I work for almost all the time that I am awake. No time for exercise, no time for books, no time for entertainment, et al. Have you felt the same way? Well I do and I feel helpless :-(

I am not sure if it is because I am truly loaded with tasks all day or because of my faulty time-management techniques. I have heard people saying that when you really want to allocate time for something you can do it and other things will fall in place automatically. I have always felt that this should be true. But I am not able to implement it.

Our typical day goes like this:
  • Get up around 6:00
  • Tell oursleves that we will leave by 8 at least today
  • Make decoction, boil the milk, make coffee
  • Keep the rice cooker
  • Make curry with vegetable (cut previous night) and let it get cooked/fry it
  • Make rasam/sambar and let it boil
  • Make something to mix with rice for our lunch
  • When the rice gets cooked, mix it with above and make curd rice
  • Pack our lunch
  • Shave, shit, soap and shampoo when time permits in between all this
  • Oh no, it is 8 already
  • Have breakfast (sambar/rasam with rice) real quick
  • Take the purse, id card, lunch bags, mobiles, helmets etc and rush down the stairs
  • Forget one of the above mentioned things and go back to get it
  • Leave to office by bike
  • Get to Jayashree's office van at 8:30, which was supposed to leave by 8:25
  • Reach office
  • Work, chat, eat, browse, attend meetings and more work
  • Leave office at 6:20
  • Pick Jayashree at 6:30
  • On the way back home, buy vegetables
  • Reach home by 7:30
  • Freshen up
  • Start cooking dinner. If its chappathi or dosa it will be more than an hour to make 4-5 no.s for 4 of us.
  • Cut vegetables for the next day
  • Eat dinner. WatchTV during dinner.
  • Its almost 10.
  • Crash....
Now, I am not sure where to find the gap in this schedule to squeeze in some things that I would love to do. Like reading a novel, doing some form of exercise and other things. Sigh.

I wonder how other people manage to do so many things on a daily basis. I envy them.

My ideal day remains a dream as of now.

1 comment:

MB said...

As politician hide'd a village athipatti,u swallowed two days a week.I mean Saturday and Sunday (which is supposed to be holidays).
In that u can do some things,which u want really to do!!!